Saturday, April 19, 2008

Long Live the Bed

Staying with the folks got me thinking about my new bed... Picture this, the bed I'm sleeping on today, is the bed I slept on in 1985! Ain't that funny? Here's the story, when my parents moved from Abu Dhabi to Doha, they took some furniture with them. Why was my 85 bed still there you ask? Unlike many other people in Abu Dhabi, my parents hated moving.

With every promotion/grade change, you get more benefits, housing allowance is one of them. So most people we knew back there, kept on changing houses every couple of years or so. Not my parents. We had one house in Ruwais, and only two in Abu Dhabi, the first house was really aweful, it was an old building and so on. As soon as my dad got the opportunity to move, we did.

We moved to a very nice place, new high rise building under Bugatti, and we never moved again. My point being this. Back in Ruwais, we were a family of 4, when we moved to Abu Dhabi to the new building, Sally had almost finished school and went on to Egypt for college, couple of years later and I followed. My parents would keep the furniture, that was in pretty decent condition for when Sally and I come for visits. Naturally some furniture died, and they got replacements, but Sally's and my bed, they lived.

What's my point? I forgot.

4 comments:

Nag said...

your point: we hang on to some things from our past, some things are hard to let go of, even as we move on to new lives..


you're welcome lol :P

Sherif Hussein said...

hmmmm, interesting...

no, I don't think so :P

Nag said...

you always claim it isnt so w ba3d keda you adopt my opinion..

i remember at least 2 incidents where this happened!

i cant stop bugging you overseas! just stop me before it gets too serious :D

هشام علاء said...

I agree with nag,it's the attachment with the little things and objects that remindes us with places,persons and incidents in ourlives,me myself..I still keep notebook from me elementary school,exam sheet from the high school eith my writing on it and lots of other things that touches me when I pick it up...